Sunday 19 August 2007

National Service 2533030

As I sat down on a chair to think
My thoughts travelling back to the past
And before even I had time to blink
Forty-odd years had gone by, so fast

I had no wish to be in the forces, said my voice
But when call-up came for National Service
In 1951, the RAF became my choice

Away from home for two whole years
Missing events, missing years
And when all was over I can honestly say
It was an experience I was glad to have had

The missing years – two, to be precise. I was deferred for nearly three years as I was serving an apprenticeship. But they finally managed to get my services...

2 comments:

Mark Fisher said...

This may be a real long shot but my wife's father was at Padgate at the exact same time as you and from what i know about him may have gone down a similar route to yourself. His name was John Henry Pears - known as Harry to everyone.

I am looking for some photos of him as he passed away a few years back and wanted something of him for my wife.

I dont suppose you did know him?
if you would be so kind as to drop me a line to mark.fisher@norfolk.gov.uk

Thanks

Mark

Len Anderson said...

I served at RAF Mafraq 1951/2, would love to contact someone who also served to swap stories and photos.